A visionary neighborhood project with wide impact
River Point District is a forward-thinking vision for a vibrant, contemporary, mixed-use waterfront neighborhood. Here, abundant natural surroundings create opportunities for unique community amenities and inspiring development.
Located in the heart of La Crosse, Wisconsin, near to Interstate 90 and at the confluence of the Mississippi, Black and La Crosse Rivers, River Point District incorporates principles of sustainable urban design and illustrates community resiliency through the strategic revitalization of a 65-acre, former industrial site.
Thoughtfully developed, the revitalized area will provide a healthy, energetic, culturally rich community adjacent to historic Downtown La Crosse that:
- Creates additional open space and recreational opportunities for all people to enjoy
- Promotes economic vitality
- Increases environmental awareness
- Increases property values
- Enhances La Crosse’s overall appeal as a place to work, live and play
A commitment to sustainability
River Point District incorporates principles of sustainable urban design and illustrates community resiliency through land reclamation and revitalization.
- Site design and engineering respect and conserve the area’s existing ecosystem
- Strategic filling throughout the project site addresses stormwater management and flooding concerns by raising land elevation a minimum of two feet over the 100-year flood plain level
- Dense neighborhood design and proximity to a walkable downtown, recreational trails and countless community resources help reduce overall carbon emissions by encouraging walking and biking
- Dedicated green spaces and gardens throughout the site support optimal individual and community health through increased outdoor time and environmental excellence
For additional details, download the River Point District Planned Development District (PDD) PDF document.
March 17, 2023
Driftless Apartments and Townhomes approved by Common Council
The Driftless Apartments and Townhomes, by MSP Real Estate, Inc., received unanimous support from the La Crosse Common Council in March. Construction for the project is anticipated to begin in July now that the development agreement has been approved. Leasing for the units is scheduled to begin in February 2024 with full completion of the […]
September 15, 2022
Big plans for waterfront in River Point District
LA CROSSE, Wis.- Imagine the possibilities. You’re enjoying an afternoon on the river, but you want to grab a bite to eat. You’re able to dock your boat and have almost instant access to restaurants and shopping, and you’re just a short walk from all that downtown La Crosse has to offer. La Crosse Parks […]
September 7, 2022
Senior housing, townhomes proposal at River Point District gets green light
LA CROSSE, Wis.- The city of La Crosse Redevelopment Authority passed a proposal to build a four-story senior apartment building in River Point District. The development also includes two dozen townhomes. MSP Real Estate, Inc. based out of Mendota Heights, Minnesota presented updated plans at a special meeting in August. The building has 96 one- and […]
May 27, 2022
Red Earth, LLC, shares plan for three-phase, varied-dwelling project for River Point District
Red Earth, LLC, of Tomah, Wisconsin, presented their proposal for planned mixed-use, multi-family and townhome developments in the emerging River Point District neighborhood. Red Earth is proposing a three-phase project resulting in three different types of dwellings in locations throughout the neighborhood. Phase one includes the construction of a 50-unit, five-story mixed-use property in the […]
April 12, 2022
Invasive plant removal underway at River Point District
LA CROSSE, Wis., April 12, 2022 – Removal of invasive and undesirable brush and trees is currently underway at River Point District. The City of La Crosse Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department has contracted Les Manske & Sons Excavating & Landscaping of Stoddard, Wisconsin, for the project, which involves the floodplain forest and emergent wetland […]